Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Poetry

I eat words and spit them back out. 

I have always been told I was a good writer. I used to keep journals in elementary school and crankiing out those three-point essays in high school was no big deal to me. But I joined a creative writing class in 11th grade as a blow-off class. and quickly learned that I loved to write poetry. 

I was not good. I was not experienced. I am still not. I simply tell my stories. I continue to do that to this day. Here are a few of my poems-some are edited and published, while others are completely unedited, raw and need real work. But I write. I write for me. I write for others, in the hopes that they can understand what I feel like. I write because I have something to say. I write because I love to write, even though it is one of the hardest things I ever do.  It is a craft that I continually work on. I have to write-it is something in my blood, something deep down in the marrow of my bones.

Ernest Hemingway once said all he wanted was to write one true sentence. That sounds very simple, but when you think about it as a writer yourself, it is incredibly difficult. Because while I might interpret a situation in one way, another may interpret it another way. I also do not even know what is completely true to me. Who can? But I write from the guise of my own experience. It's all I can do.



The following are poems that are actually published and ones that are not yet-that are still unedited, rough and extremely raw. Please be patient with me.

I wrote this in about five minutes after it had happened to me, which I describe in the poem. It is very stream of consciousness. I did not edit it at all before it got published.


She does not know what it's like
to smell the animals dying. 

My mother knows only calendars,
clocks,  
kitchen timers, 
common
sense. 
hating my sullen stillness 
the silence of my hands,  
she forces me out of bed again today
ripping off covers
tearing open blinds
with clenched-dishwasher fists
letting in the lethargic light
ruining all hopes of swimming 
in the dark waters of dreaming 


I do not blame her,
though. 
She has never seen the tired Sun pack up at eight in the morning,
with a gaunt shuffle, saying
So long, let's try again tomorrow,
tipping his hat
when everything is so slow
sluggish, thick
that breathing is tiresome 
inhaling humid Arkansas summersodden air 
through a wet blindfold. 

my cicada sins are 
crawling up my legs 
and all over my arms
gnawing at the skin in-between my fingers
nipping at my heels
shadows that follow even when there is no sun. 


Now there's my sister
with her Pinterest perfect house,
law degree, 
sensible shoes
home cooked supper
beer, pretties they bought from the antique store,
the television blaring,
uproarious laughter,
"who are these people,"
I ask. 


All I want to do is be alone 
in my room
in my head
to try to make some sense out of myself. 

I wanted to try to write a positive poem, as it is so much easier to write about painful experiences. This poem is about the first ride I took with my ex-boyfriend. It came out in literally three minutes and has no edits. It is one of my favorites. I also wanted it to be a short and succinct as possible (thus the references to Pound & Hemingway-both known for their brief sparse style), because brevity is not my strong suit.


If I Were Hemingway
Or maybepound 

I would tell you how
The suncircles on the 
afternoon trees that smiled

Unfurled the poisonedpetals 
of my foreignforged fingertips. 

Twitching to the rhythm 
of a thousand dead men
dancing in the street. 

When you held my hand. 



Another published work about my sister:


For my sister: Sarah

My sister cried in the hallway
while a kind black lady with soft skin
and a gentle voice prayed with her
holding her shoulders-slight
as the nurse bathed me
teeth clenching on pink sponges
my cracked lips begging for water,
for mercy. 

Limplagous legs
spread open like
the Japanese fans
we played with as children 
my heart beating to the rhythm of the vent
in and out, in and out
let's play the dying game
I'll take the lead.

Later, when I was in a space
somewhere between the end
of the beginning 
I asked her, "Does my hair look like Natalie Portman's?"
You know, like in V for Vendetta 
she knew I was still there
spread out stiff, 
swaddled in hospital gowns
my father's prayers

She came to me every day
bringing me pretties
little lotions,
bright tank tops
everything so colorful, garish
against the prison grey light. 
painting the space
in-between my body
and my head
with its right ear
dangling down
I hadn't yet seen myself 
faces warned me
it was better
not to ask. 

When we got home,
we went shopping for wigs
my old hair in a plastic bag
somewhere in the closet
she covered the scars of my crucifixion  
so Michael wouldn't notice
the first time he saw me
after the carnage
a Hungarian wasteland 
dead birds on the windowsill 
"I think he should see them so he'll know how bad it was."

"Was?" 
I wanted to ask. 


Twice in the night,
she would come to turn
my frailbonesbitter
turning on music
to drown out the sound
of my nighttime nightingale tears
The prayers to a god I hated 
stroking softly,
with lily-petaled fingertips
my face
my neck
 

I never saw her cry 
it was just the story I heard
as hard to believe 
as a rhinestone-dragon tale 
I was told nobody, 
not even the rain
has such small hands. 

But e.e. never met my sister. 

That last line was based on the first poem I ever loved, by my favorite poet, e.e cummings. 

Here it is:

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond

somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond any experience,your eyes have their silence: in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me, or which i cannot touch because they are too near your slightest look easily will unclose me though i have closed myself as fingers, you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens (touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose or if your wish be to close me,i and my life will shut very beautifully,suddenly, as when the heart of this flower imagines the snow carefully everywhere descending; nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals the power of your intense fragility:whose texture compels me with the colour of its countries, rendering death and forever with each breathing (i do not know what it is about you that closes and opens;only something in me understands the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses) nobody,not even the rain, has such small hands. 
Beautiful, write? Catch my clever pun? :)
And here is an example of how messy poems are-at least mine are-before I work on them:
You plead not guilty to all charges against you. You forget that four months can seem like a lifetime to me.  You forget that I can still taste your kiss in the mornings when I wake up alone again. 

You forget the words you fed me.
 
Kiss me. Beautiful. Again. Now. Please. Stay

Lips pomegranates, fingers peeling petal by petal the magnolias of our mouths. The way my name was soft inside your throat. The sky a carousel of buttercream and azaleas pouring down our cheeks, covering the red veins down your back, my broken teeth. You forget the tangerine rinds of my thighs and what it is over parted flesh becoming. Belly kisses, your bare hands calloused, tracing the tears down my cheek.

I fuck for the speechless. You fuck for the screams. 

You forget that hospitals and home smell the same to me now. Like blood. Like metal. Like alone. You forget that the do not resuscitate sign still hangs above my bed--a warning for anyone trying to save me. 

Your mouth is the burial ground and the battle field.
 Most war zones avoid being loved 
but these lips remember your bloody kind of sacred. I love you for the home you made of freckled shoulders, open mouths, piano fingers, safety. And I hate you for the way you tore it down, pieces of our ghosts still there in the spaces between us. You didn't even have the decency to let it burn. 

You forget when I scan my body, I still see yours. You forget to stay out of my poems, out of my head. You forget that everything isn't about you. 

You forget that I can't. 
I hate writing. And I love it. It is so difficult to explain the dichotomy. But for now, I rest. I realize that I will never be the best and I will never be the worst. I can only tell my story and that is good enough for me.

Love,
MourningGlory

PS. Ernest Heminway also said, "the first draft of anything is shit," which gives me great comfort. 

What is your favorite poem of mine out of these?

Once again thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment